Friday, October 12, 2012

SLABTOWN!!


Slabtown…

So… I have recently reopened my love of a pub/bar here in Northwest Portland. Slabtown (http://www.slabtownbar.net/) a great place to chill, hang, AND EAT! I used to frequent Slabtown when I first moved to Portland there were always good shows throughout the week, and they have pin ball. The two things I love on a weekday. It was never really the friendliest place but they had the things I liked. Somewhere around 3 years ago I had an awful experience there with an unruly bar tender, so I never went back.
Fast forward two years. A good friend of mine bought Slabtown and has since turned it back into the local hangout I really craved back when. I want to clarify right out of the gates; I don’t go to bars on a regular basis, mostly because the food in general is lacking love, and the atmosphere is not conducive to my life style. So it really takes a lot for a bar to get my attention.
Since my friend took over Slabtown the bar has gone back into a direction of great times. Since it’s re-opening I have been back to Slabtown on a number of occasions, I mean com'on, how can I pass up a great rock show, giant monster wresting, a punk show, Dave’s birthday smash, and of course Bay Area playoff baseball.
There are two main rooms at Slabtown, the main bar room with a great stage and booth seating situated right along the street perfect for alfresco bar diving, and the second room, a back alcove lined with booths for private meetings, and two couches for viewing of a big screen TV. Oh don’t forget the wide selection of vintage arcade games and VHS library. Yes I said VHS library, for those of you from my generation you know how cool this is.
So onward to the actual experience of being at Slabtown; it was Tuesday and the Giants and A’s were in the midst of must win games for the division series. My friend we’ll call him “Dave” is a great baseball fan and his ability to talk about the subtleties of the game makes for a great experience in itself. I had sent “Dave” a text earlier in the day to find out where he would be watching the games, his response “Slabtown of course.” I may be forgetting the actual context, but you get the jest of it. So we met at Slabtown.
“Dave” had already secured us a spot in the backroom on the couches with the big screen TV set to the game. I plopped myself down and dove in. The bar tender a handsome man we’ll call him “Doug” came back to check in with us and see if we were in need of anything. I knew that a new Chef had recently taken over in the kitchen, providing a great menu of Lebanese favorites; Fatoush Salad, Falafel, Pita (homemade), and a Vegan Gyro. Oh and of course Double Blanched French Fries. This guy is doing it right. “Doug” recommended that I get the Falafel Sandwich and fries, on his suggestion I choose the afore mentioned.  “Doug” also knowing of my culinary prowess let me know I have to try the “Vegan” gyro fixing’s. As I patiently awaited my meal “Dave” and I watched the A’s vs. Tigers. The last time the A’s faced the Tigers in the playoffs I was at the Oakland Coliseum enjoying firsthand the magic that is; October Baseball. The A’s won that series on their way to a tuff ALCS loss.
Just as I had finished telling my story, “Doug” re-entered with sandwich and fries in hand.  I couldn’t stop staring at it…The sandwich was gorgeous. The first part that caught my eye were the beet pickled turnips that stood precariously out of the top, surrounded by a bed of shredded cabbage, enclosed in a soft warm pita. Alongside my sandwich are the perfectly golden brown fries; now I may be a fine chef, but that does not mean I don’t love me some good fries. Oh baby, is all I can think as I dig into this masterpiece. All the components have obviously been carefully selected and created with the utmost love for food. I pick up the two handed beauty to take my first bite, all the bright flavors stand up and yell in mouth; “YEAH BOY!!!!” no joke this Falafel is great. Crispy, tender, herbaceous, and bright, pickled turnips bring this bad boy together in a radiant symbiosis of salt, vinegar, and texture. After a few delectable bites of the sandwich I move onto my fries; love at first bite, golden, crispy, tender, salty, oh baby this Chef is after my heart.
It’s important to remember that you do not have to be a Michelin Stared Chef to produce great food. Many times these great dishes are hidden away in the most unlikely of places.
“Doug” came back to check in and asks; “How was the sandwich?”  I cannot describe to him in words so I simply grin and nod in an intentionally slow and seductive balance. He knows that’s a good sign, and he knows I have been satisfied; you see, “Doug” is also a baseball guy and he understands the body language.
The A’s went on to win the game, and “Dave” and I  wound up with a pretty damn good conversation about what theme restaurant will work best in Portland; I’ll say this, when it happens you’ll know.
So, open your mind and mouth, and swing by Slabtown. Tell them that Andrew sent you. And most importantly; never judge a book by its cover. All the best and happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment