Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Truffles!!! White Truffles

So how do I enjoy a day out of the kitchen? I go find the bounty of Oregon. Today's goal; "Find black truffles." I left my Northwest neighborhood apartment at just about 0945hrs I arrive at my destination at 1030hrs. My "spots" are all over the place. But It has been my experience that the hills 25 miles north west of Portland are the most bountiful for truffles.  I keep my eyes both up and down, two things I am looking for; 1. The drip line of the Red Fir trees, 2. Holes in the tuft that small rodents have burrowed for truffles their smell is better than mine. But when you get deep into a good patch you too can smell them as if you super scent, amazing. So I started in one of my always good spots only to find a German Sheppard sized Coyote wondering through the forest. This is the point where i say to myself  "wow this is what a good life is" the coyote smells me and darts off into the woods. And I choose to go the opposite direction to avoid further confrontation. This unexpected change lands me in a new area of the woods I have not yet explored so I am slightly excited and just a touch on my heels. As I find a small patch of fresh burrows I get down on my knee and begin to pull back the tuft exposing small worms and beetles. It is very very VERY!! Important that if you choose to forage leave the area the same way you found it So do not leave trash and as you remove dirt re place it. As I begin to pull back the tuft I notice a few small bulbs my heart begins to race I have forgotten about my furry friends and realize as I pick them out and look at them curiously, "no way" I think I just found white truffles. Sure enough I found the holy grail of Oregon's gifts of nature the White Truffle these things retail for ridiculous amounts. I find three here after only 5 minutes. After 5 more i move on. 45 minutes pass and nothing, then just as I am deciding to head back to my original destination Bird catches my eye hes making a great deal of noise I turn and look and hes just playing a bit, but I also notice a group of red fir trees that are about 30-45 years old with a smooth clear opening under there out reached branches. I walk over no burrows, shit. Well I'm here so I may as well take a look under the tuft, and yet again I get real lucky. Once I exposed the soft pebbly dirt there it is another white truffle peaking out from the dark brown fertile ground. I look around a bit more finding my largest of the day a white truffle weighing in at 4.25 ounces shes a beauty. At this point I had found 7 white truffles and 0 black truffles, so next week I will head to the coast and hope for some black truffles. Until then I have yet another successful 5 hour trip to gather Oregon's Bounty.

2 comments:

  1. GET EM ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : ) : ) : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this story! That was fun reading, I felt like I was there too. Thanks for sharing that with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete